Skip to Content

Faculty Contracts

Expand or Collapse all.

How do I know which contract form to use?

The Contract Offer Recommendation Form (PPS 7.02, Appendix K) is used for (1) initial employment for new faculty members who are to be appointed on an FTE basis with a monthly salary rate; and (2) when converting per course faculty to an appointment on an FTE basis. 

This form is never used for graduate or doctoral students or per course faculty.

The Contracting of Temporary Faculty Form (PPS 7.09, Appendix A) is used for (1) initial and subsequent appointments for graduate and doctoral teaching assistants, (2) continuing contracts for all faculty who are not tenured or on tenure track even if they are in the department budget; and (3) subsequent phased retirement faculty appointments.

The Salary Calculation Form For Per Course Faculty (PPS 7.14, Attachment A) is used for all per course appointments, both initial and subsequent.  Per Course faculty are limited to teaching 2 classes per semester.

What is the difference between a percent faculty appointment and a per course faculty appointment?

Percent faculty are required to meet classes, hold regular office hours, and participate in committee, research/service, and scholarly activities in accordance with departmental guidelines based upon the percentage of the appointment.

Per course faculty are required to meet classes and hold regular office hours.

Do I need to prepare another contracting form if a faculty contract needs to be amended?

If the contract form is already in our office and the contract and PCR have not yet been processed, send an e-mail explaining the change to Cindy Waggoner (cw12).  However, if the contract and PCR have already been processed, please submit a new form and PCR to correct the contract and appointment for the individual.  Please indicate this is a change to the previous paperwork.

When is the title of Program Faculty appropriate?

The title of Program Faculty is appropriate 1) when the faculty member is performing duties other than regular teaching duties, or 2) when an employee is hired for a specific duty and is not the teacher of record but must have faculty credentials to fill the position.  Those appointed as Program Faculty do not receive contracts because they are not teachers of record.

Program Faculty can be appointed in paid or non-paid positions.  The department chair determines the appropriate type of appointment.  Regardless of the type of position (paid or non-paid), a current vitae and the original transcript of the highest degree conferred must be included in the hiring packet for all individuals appointed as Program Faculty.  This policy has been implemented in order for us to verify credentials and to comply with SACS requirements.

Questions regarding Program Faculty appointments should be addressed to Cindy at 8378 or cw12.

Are official transcripts really necessary?

Yes.  The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Principles of Accreditation specifically states that we must keep on file, for all teachers of record, documentation of academic preparation.  Official transcripts from all degree granting institutions are required to complete a faculty member’s hiring packet.

When are dual employment documents required?

Dual employment documentation is required for any outside employment or activity.  Additional information and forms are found in UPPS 04.04.06.

What approval is necessary when full-time staff teach classes?

Staff may teach one (1) regular class per each long semester on campus during normal working hours with supervisory approval as well as concurrence from the divisional vice president. Staff may not be compensated for teaching this class, unless the employee uses vacation, compensatory time or flex time to cover the teaching hours or the supervisor modifies the employee's work schedule around the hours spent teaching. In addition to the three-hour or four-hour class noted above, an exempt staff member may also teach one one-hour section of University Seminar subject to the same schedule adjustment provisions. Account manager approval and written documentation as to how work hours are to be made up must be submitted with the contracting documents and PCR.  Refer to UPPS 04.04.11 for additional information.

Staff who teach are required to provide to the department all documents needed for a faculty hiring packet.

Who do I call or contact when I have questions about faculty hiring and contracts?

Contact Cindy Waggoner at 5-8378 or by email at cw12

or Lyndi Wittekiend at 5-3628 or by email at lg40.